Monday 8 October 2012

Things that make me cry: Animated Movies


I feel like this needs no introduction and the title says enough. This blog is pretty self explanatory. If you didn't cry in at least half of these, you have a stone cold heart. NB. These are in no particular order.


1) Mufasa dying in the Lion King
The pain in his face is just too much to bear. His animated lion face shows more emotion than any real human face could.
And then Simbas cry of "NOO" while he watches his dad drop do his death. Heartbreaking.
Also, the dramatic music really increases the tear flow.

2) The beginning of Finding Nemo
After that, the tears keep on a-pouring until the very end when I have to spend some time alone to gather my thoughts.
I mean, the movie starts with Nemo's mum dying and all Nemo's potential siblings dying too. It doesn't get much more upsetting than that now does it? The tears may also be scared ones, that barracuda thing is actually terrifying.


3) The Lion King- when Simba is all grown up and sings "It means no worries for the rest of your days" in Hakunamatata
Not really sure why this gets me all choked up. It just does. Every time.


4) The Little Mermaid- Part of Your World
I think the main reason why I cry during this is because Ariel is so darn selfish. I mean, she has everything, she sings it herself- plenty of gadgets and gizmos, whoozits and whatsits galore and  twenty thingamabobs; what more could she want? Selfish selfish ginger. Also, she has a completely twisted idea of what land is like; it's not all sandy, sunny and great, Ariel, plus there are bitchy dads here too.
 

5) Mulan- I'll make a man out of you
Not only is this an extremely catchy tune, sung by a weirdly hot animated Asian sumo wrestler, but it's also got some deep emotion. The end is mainly when I roll out a few tears, when Mulan is climbing that pole and she makes it and then suddenly everyone can defeat the Huns and butch Jackie Chan is so proud; definitely happy tears.
 

6) The whole of The Incredibles
Solely because their life is exactly how I wish mine was. Tears of jealousy. And longing. And maybe a spot of admiration, because the ginger is by far the coolest.

7) Monsters Inc.- "Kitty has to go"
How can they make a line that a turquoise monster with purple spots that looks like a very hairy cow, walking on two legs, so sad? Maybe its because Boo is just so friggin' cute and if she is sad, you are sad. And then they have the most emotional hug, Boo is about half the size of Sully's thumb and her eyes are so big and he looks so so upset. Then it's all topped off by her running up and opening the doorthat he's just shut behind him and discovering that it's just a cupboard...

8) The whole of Up
If you don't cry during at least 60% of this movie, then you are obviously a direct descendant of Hitler. I think I probably missed most of this movie when I watched it as I couldn't see behind my curtains of tears. It is a combination of sad and happy tears throughout (sad at beginning slowly becoming happier) but they are definitely tears straight from the heart.

9) The very end of Toy Story 3
Now, all of the Toy Story movies are very emotional, but the creators managed to really tug on my heartstrings at the end of the last one. If, like me, you grew up with these movies, you will also have sobbed when you watched it. There was not a dry eye in the cinema by the end when I went to see that movie (and we were all over 13). The way that Andy was all grown up and he gave Woody away to such a good home, was just too much for my tear ducts to hold onto. And how that little girl makes Woody wave at Andy, we feel your pain Andy, we do. Oh and then, it's all topped off with those clouds that are the same clouds as in the beginning of the first Toy Story.

10) When Nani realises Lilo has gone in Lilo and Stitch
You see some real sisterly love here. Then when that creep alien pervs on her, she breaks down and cries and it makes you cry with her (even though her sobs are kind of annoying...)


11) Quasimodo being attacked in The Hunchback of Notredame
I don't really think I need to explain why this is sad, it's quite obvious. The way Quasi cries "Master, Master!". Heart wrenching.

12) Tangled- When Rapunzel cuts her hair off
I know she's doing it out of love for Flynn, which is sweet and all, but why does she do it so unattractively?! She could have just given it a neat trim, maybe chopped in a few layers- why did she just hack it all off so she is left looking like a boy? All that beautiful blonde hair- gone, so so sad.


13) Bambi's Mum being killed
This is another one of those self-explanatory ones. But then afterwards, when Bambi is walking through the snow and is going "Mother?" and his eyes are super huge, that is when the tears really start pouring.

14) Dumbo- the scene between him and his mum
Why are child and mother scenes so sad in Disney movies? When Dumbo's little trunk peeps up through the bars of his mum's cage, adorable. When she realises she can't move any closer to him, heartbreaking. When they have their little mummy trunk to baby trunk moment, heartwarming. Dumbo's tears start flooding, mine flood with his. Then I keep on crying until Dumbo leaves his mum and waves his trunk, then I have a full on, emotional breakdown.

I'm going to end this blog here, because currently I have enough tears to fill a glass and I don't want to dehydrate myself any further.
I hope I am not the only one who tears up at the above movies and scenes, otherwise I look like a bit of a freak right now.

M x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews