Friday 26 October 2012

Being Cultural: Exhibitions

 After Lucy's crazy diversion off the beaten track (aka. London) yesterday, let me bring you back to what this blog is really all about (aka. London).
It is currently, for most British schools, Half Term. If you don't know what that is, it is basically a one or two week holiday that we have once a term to break up the workload a little. Half term is great and all, but one thing that sucks about it is that a lot of the time loads of your friends go away and you are left, on your lonesome, with nothing to do, at home.
Some people enjoy their own company, I believe those people are called "introverts"; if you're one of those people, good for you! However if you're one of those people who prefers being around other people, (like me) going to museums and seeing exhibitions can be a fun way to get out of the house and it makes you sound smart when reporting back to your AWOL friends.
I have, so far, been to two exhibitions in London, both of which were lovely.

1) The Little Black Jacket- Saatchi Gallery
Unfortunately, this exhibition is only showing for one week so not many people will have the opportunity to see it. The exhibition is all these photos taken by Karl Lagerfeld, of celebrities/models/icons/cool people in this one Chanel jacket (plus other clothes obviously). There are some really brilliant pictures in it and the clothes they wear make me really envious. There is also a side room in which Karl Lagerfeld's "Fire Paintings" are displayed and these are really cool photographs turned into paintings on glass panes; I wanted to touch them, but I didn't because I was worried that, if I did, I might break the exhibition and be jailed for life.  This exhibition only took about half an hour in total to go around and it's on the Kings Road, so plenty of shopping time before and after! Another bonus- every exhibition in the Saatchi Gallery doesn't cost a penny. Also, you get a free poster.











2) Hollywood Costume- V&A
I will start with the negatives of this one, to get them over and done with; it wasn't very well organised, there were hundreds of people crowding round single things and too many things to read at once. I feel like I spent too much time standing around waiting for people to move so I could see the next costume. Getting round this exhibition took about an hour and a half because of all the wasted waiting-around time and I was pretty worn out and hungry by the end of it. Anyway, apart from those couple of things, it was a fabulous thing to see- all of the costumes from the majority of my favourite movies. There were costumes from Pirates of the Caribbean, Legally Blonde, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Mamma Mia (there was also a whole section dedicated to Meryl Streep. We called it "Meryland".) and millions more The information posters were really interesting and the whole thing really opened my eyes to a whole new section of cinematography (yes, since going to the museum, I use fancy words). It was also fun seeing how skinny (or not...) some actors are, by looking at the waist size on their costumes. Something I would say is don't see this exhibition alone, I made lots of observations that I commented about to my friend throughout and without her, I wouldn't have had anyone to say "Meryl Streep got a bit chubby over the years" to etc.; in fact, I think my favourite exhibition visitors were the group of elderly ladies, all wearing pearls, who were carrying glasses of champagne and all chatting and laughing, they looked like they were having a great time (their enjoyment was not a result of the champagne, it was a result of their company with each other of course).
This one is running until the end of January 2013 so you have loads of time to go see it. Although, we may not survive until then, if the Mayans are right this time...
Also, make sure you leave a bit of time to look in the exhibition gift shop, because, even though it is highly unlikely that you will buy any of the overpriced items, there are some great accessories in there and we really enjoyed trying them all on.



I hope that this was an informative blog and it reminded you that when all your friends are travelling far and wide (New York *cough* New York) there is still life beyond the walls and comfort of your home.
If you get a chance to visit either of these exhibitions- go for it, if not, I hope you enjoyed reading about them.

M x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews