Thursday 25 October 2012

City Guide: New York

You're confused, I get it. You thought this was a blog about London. You are wondering if you're in the right place. Fear not, munchkin.

I know I'm super lucky to be able to go to awesome places like New York and I thought I would share my awesome experiences/shops/restaurants with you if/when you ever get the chance to go.

Food

Balthazar
http://balthazarny.com/















Somehow we always seem to find our way back to Balthazar. Booking is essential, or just beg your hotel concierge to try and get you a table. On our most recent trip, we *just* managed to get a table for 6pm. So worth it though.

Blue Smoke
http://bluesmoke.com/blue/














Let me tell you a little story about Blue Smoke. We went for my 13th birthday, because it is one of our all-time favourite New York restaurants. Slight dilemma, because I had taken a vow on vegetarianism at the time. It was short-lived, but that is irrelevant.
But I still had to eat the ribs (it's a rib shack). So I broke my vegetarianism. And no one outside my family has ever found out until this day.
PS. my vegetarianism only lasted three weeks after that delightful day.

Shake Shack
http://www.shakeshack.com/















So our last trip was our first time at Shake Shack, but now, four days later, in the comfortable safety of my own home in London, I am suffering from some serious Shake Shack withdrawal symptoms. Like a super up-market

Eileen's Cheesecake
http://www.eileenscheesecake.com/













Ok, so from the outside (and the inside), it doesn't look that flashy. I'll admit that much. But that cheesecake, oh the cheesecake. It's right by Balthazar, so if you go there, you've got no excuse. I'll be watching.

Cupcakes
If you know me, or follow me on Twitter, you will know that I'm utterly obsessed with baking. Especially cupcakes.

Magnolia Bakery
http://www.magnoliabakery.com















All time favourite, man. Sometimes I just stand there and watch the employees frost the cupcakes and then try to replicate it when I get back. No, it doesn't work.

Baked By Melissa
http://www.bakedbymelissa.com/












They're mini. I think that is simply the reason why I love them so much.
Confession time, I've never actually tried a Baked By Melissa cupcake. I've been following them on Instagram for a while now, and I passed several of their stores in New York and drooled heavily. But, alas, it wasn't meant to be. Apparently if I eat too many I'll get fat or something, according to my parents. Kill-joys...

Shops
BIGGEST ADVICE I COULD EVER GIVE ANYONE TRAVELLING TO NEW YORK COMING UP RIGHT ABOUT NOW:
Only pack half a suitcase at most. Trust me, you're going to need all the space (mainly for boxes of Lucky Charms)

Abercrombie & Fitch
http://www.abercrombie.co.uk














Look, I'm not a brand freak, but I don't see how you can pass a whole trip in New York without somehow visiting the 5th Avenue store. But what makes it such an irresistible proposal? Is it the thumping music, so loud that it deafens you? Is it the annoying girls who always ask you how you are whenever you walk in? Is it the workers that are employed to stand there and dance? Is it that they purposefully block their way?

I don't know. It's just too hard to decide.

Dean & DeLuca
http://www.deandeluca.com/















If you weren't wishing you lived in New York, a trip to this upmarket supermarket on Broadway will make you want to, simply because then you might be able to shop there. Cutest place ever.

Bloomingdales
http://www.bloomingdales.com/















I spent the whole of my 16th birthday trapsing round Broadway, looking in every single store, without much luck. Yes, parents, if you're reading this, I bought a couple of nice things, but, let's be honest, we should've just gone to Bloomingdales. When we went the day after, I bought three of the nicest things currently in my wardrobe.
It's the best department store in New York. Saks is just too expensive and, let's be honest, Macy's is crap. Head to Bloomingdales. Oh, and also, it has a Magnolia Bakery on the Ground Floor (which the Americans, for some strange reason, call Level 1. Such freaks).
Oh, and before I forget. Ask for the 10% visitors discount. Life saver.


So my list is by no means the ultimate, everyone has their favourites. In fact, if anyone has been to New York and has their favourite places to eat/shop, let me know. Hey, you could always comment, that would be nice. I'll reward you with Pop Tarts, I promise.

L x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews