Tuesday 16 October 2012

GBBO Final: Two Gay Men and a Scot

The tension is rising...

(I'm sorry, I had to include a baking pun somewhere along the way. I just included it ridiculously early on. Sorry if I caught you by surprise)

Right, but seriously. Let's not joke about a subject so clearly very delicate. It's a big deal to us Food Tech GCSE-ers (yes, we're out there. We're just usually hiding behind a chilled dessert or nutrition analysis profile. But we're still there)

Let's have a look at the three poor souls who are competing for the title of Britain's Best Baker. No prize is necessary (is there even a prize?) because IT'S A BIG DEAL.


Brendan















Age: 63
Most Likely To: be perfect and know it
Weird Fact: he's currently trying to bake all the breads of the world. He's 90 through

Urgh, Brendan. If you win, I'll be upset. You're just too smug. We get that you're really good at baking, we see that. Paul doesn't like you and, quite frankly, neither do I. Please don't win. But if you do, well, then, a lot of Jaffa Cakes shall be eaten to soothe my feelings.

John















Age: 23
Most Likely To: have a disaster
Weird Fact: he left his place at Oxford University

Why are you still in John? It should've been Cathryn. That is all.

James














Age: 21
Most Likely To: be seen in knitwear
Weird Fact: He has reached Grade 8 in Classical Double Bass

May you rise to the occasion James (sorry), you're totally my favourite. I mean, I may be biased because I may or may not be Scottish. But it's the combination of knitwear, the mousy/ginger hair and the fact that you're a medical student makes you weirdly attractive. I regret nothing.
Oh, and the Scottish accent helps too.

So, there they are. The three suckers. And let's not forget our judges!


There are so many things I love about this combination. The way that they compliment each other on their version of the technical challenge is almost cringe-worthy, but adorable. The way they scrape the bottom of the pastry. The soggy bottoms. The fact that neither of them clearly gain any weight throughout the process. Ahh, it's a match made in heaven. Mary is such a cougar.

I actually met Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood last month and she actually signed my cook book. I mean, can you believe that? A cook book signed by Mary Berry. Dying.


What is it that makes me love the Bake Off so much? Is it because I bake myself? Is it Mary's incredible sense of style? Is it Mel and Sue? Is it Paul's ruthless attacks on poor, innocent bakers? I just don't know. But I will be tuning in for the final and I will most definitely be tuning in next series.

(It is actually the scrummy baked goods that convince me to watch)

L x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews