Tuesday 31 December 2013

An Ode To Brunch

To say that I liked brunch would be a massive understatement. I love brunch almost as much as I love the  fact that Miranda Kerr and Orlando Bloom are now both single (though it sucks for Flynn and romantics everywhere, I think I could easily bag either of them. No? Ok...), Yes, I really like brunch. Honestly, what is not to love about brunch? You get to eat bacon,  A LOT OF BACON at the slightly later hour that brunch requires. You get to natter and catch up with friends. You get to stuff your face because it's two meals right?!

Did I mention you get to eat bacon?!

At first, I was of the naive assumption that you could brunch with anyone. I believed that this was a food-focused event and the company was only there to stop you eating your bacon alone and tell you politely that you've had enough to eat. But how wrong I was.

Your brunch crew is a fundamental component of a good bruncheon. Take a leaf out of the book of the girls from Sex and the City and brunch with your closest friends who you don't necessarily see a lot. Then, you've got a lot to catch up on and the light chit-chat is the perfect accompaniment for eating too much. Let's be real here, you've really got to know the special people. It can't just be anyone. I would even be wary of going to brunch with a member of the opposite sex. What if they don't appreciate the sanctity of brunch and all that it entails? I'm just saying, be careful, folks.


Now, I wouldn't consider myself to be the ultimate expert on the best brunch locations in London, because I am sure that there are some hidden gems that me and my friends are yet to discover. But I thought I'd share with you some of my favourite brunch locations around the city.

Bill's
A classic choice. A branch of Bill's can be throughout London, such as Chiswick, Richmond, Wimbledon, Kensington and Islington, and also outside of London in locations such as Bath and Oxford. So you're never too far from a Bill's and those incredible blueberry pancakes.

VQ
YOU CAN GET PANCAKES 24 HOURS A DAY!!!! Yes, this is a 24 hour brunch spot in the heart of Chelsea so there is really no excuse not to brunch.

Muriel's Kitchen
Because it is just a stone's throw away from South Kensington station, Muriel's is the perfect place to meet up with friends before heading off shopping to burn off all those well-deserved brunch calories.

Upsy Daisy Bakery
Anyone special in my life gets taken to the Upsy Daisy Bakery as a sort of initiation into the proper elite. It's one of those tucked away gems that no one really knows about, but it's everything you would want from a casual brunch. I love it.

The Riding House Cafe
I'll admit it, I've never actually visited this brunch haven, but the little green monster within me summons itself every time someone I know hashtags #ridinghousecafe on Instagram. I'm jealous, ok?

Dishoom
Another one that I haven't visited for brunch, but I can vouch for their bombay-style evening menu. The evening food was absolutely delicious, even if it is one of those 'trendy' no-book places. If their brunch is half as good as the rest of it, I'm sure it's a real treat.



Continuing with my life-long dream of being a part of a John Hughes movie, I would like to suggest a sort of gang. Much like 'The Breakfast Club'.

But instead. 'The Brunch Club'...

Applications will be accepted from early 2014 with a formal interview being conducted shortly thereafter.


L x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews