Saturday 27 October 2012

How To Pack Lightly: A Dummy's Guide

If you've come to actually learn how to pack light, you've come to the wrong place. I'm so absolutely muscle-flinchingly horrendous at packing lightly, so this guide is as much of a learning experience for you as it is for me.

Yes. I've had to Google this. Google it too if you want, but you won't get that same hint of wit and banter that comes with it. Your call, I guess.

1) Bring a small bag
Let's face the facts. If you only have a small suitcase, you can't pack much anyway. Yes, it may lead to the classic 'sit on the suitcase to close it shut' scenario, but bringing a smaller bag will make you make some serious decisions about clothes.

2) Do you really need that...?
Be honest with yourself, do you really need four pairs of shoes for a weekend away? (This actually happened during the summer, and no, I didn't need four pairs. I only ended up wearing two.)
The thing I'm trying to say is this: yes, blue jeans are a staple and very good , but really, just don't even go there.
Think it over?


3) Don't bother bringing gym kit
I always make this mistake. I bring a pair of trainers, and some clothes, because I think I will foolishly head to the treadmill instead of lying on the beach. I have yet to see the inside of a hotel gym.

4) Check the weather
Sounds like such an obvious thing to do, but you'd be surprised. At least check whether it is winter or summer in the country you are visiting and the average temperature range. It probably narrows out about half your wardrobe.
Half the wardrobe, half the worry.


5) List it, loser
If you're super organised, like me, make a packing list. As well as making a specific list for that holiday, always list what pieces of clothing will go with other things. That well, you'll never bring that top that you think will look really good, but, err, you don't know what it will look good with.

6) Purge, baby, purge
You've got the list, you're almost ready to go. Woooooaaah, hold it tiger. Do you really need that second skirt? When you lay all of your clothes out, write another list without looking at your first list of things you think you are definitely going to wear. DEFINITELY.

You're ready to roll baby!

I hope this has been as informative for you as it has for me. I'm actually going to try that packing list next time I go away (which, err, won't be for a while because I've got stinkin' exams coming up. Bye bye fun. Sorry, this is irrelevant. But I'm spiteful)

L x



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews