Sunday 18 November 2012

Premature Christmas

Please don't get me wrong, I adore Christmas as much as the next person; last year I even had an advent calendar leading up to actual advent on the 1st December. However, I just switched off my TV because an unnamed music channel started playing "The 40 Best Christmas Songs" and I have just seen that "Christmas" is trending worldwide on Twitter. It is a tiny bit early for these things, world.
It is fine to start writing your wish list now, I know I have, and to start thinking about what you're going to buy people is great, but it's a tad soon to start buying them. I mean, the Christmas sales have barely started.

I am among the firm believers of the fact that Michael Buble hibernates until Christmas, when he comes out with a brilliant Christmas album that puts everyone in the holiday mood, but I think the Bubs has woken up a little early this year; they even played one of his new songs on Mellow Magic last night. This is a clear sign that everyone is celebrating Christmas a little prematurely.
I am no hater of Christmas songs, not at all, in fact I love them. I have many seasonal albums on my iPod, including Justin Bieber's Mistletoe (although, according to some of my less intelligent friends, Justin Bieber doesn't have the right Christmas voice and Mistletoe is not really a Christmas album in their eyes.) I would do an unnecessary list of my favourite Christmas songs here, but that would mean that I would have to pause the Black Eyed Peas and actually listen to said songs and I think we already know how I feel about that.

In terms of Christmas trees, don't even get me started on them. (That was a figure of speech obviously I'm now going to write a whole paragraph on Christmas trees). I think they are probably one of my favourite things in the world-  the smell, buying and decorating them, putting presents under them, everything about them. However, this year, I have seen and heard multiple statements that people have already bought their trees! This is pushing the prematurity a little too far. By December 25th, those peoples' trees will be dead and gone, they will have fir leaves all over their floor and the lights will have fused and not be working. This image doesn't really scream "Merry Christmas!" now does it?

By now, you probably all think I look a little like this:
but that is so so far from the truth. I am more excited about Christmas than all of the 337 people that have tweeted about it in the last half an hour, I just don't want to start celebrating prematurely because I'm worried that by the time Yule Tide actually swings around, I will have over-celebrated and just go "meh".
Call me paranoid or whatever, but don't be too surprised if you're not as enthusiastic about the next day as you thought you would be on Christmas Eve.

Be prepared to be bombarded with Christmassy blog posts nearer to the time, but for now, this is all I shall say on the matter.

M x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews