Saturday 18 January 2014

It's OK To Embrace Your Inner Schmidt

Whilst engaging in my favourite past-time of procrastinating from the hideous, nervous breakdown-inducing amount of work I have to do, I visited BuzzFeed in order to increase my own self-awareness and knowledge by completing their quizzes.

Lo and behold! What do we have here? A quiz titled 'Which "New Girl" Character Are You?'. It was my lucky day. Here I am, jovially ticking my answers of choice without a care in the world. And then it hits me, at the very bottom of the page.

You got: Schmidt

How are you supposed to react when news so terribly life-changing enters your world? I was dumbfounded, I was struck with a sense that I would never quite be the same ever again. It was that dramatic.

I guess there are negative connotations associated with 'being a Schmidt'. Yes, sometimes I humiliate myself in front of my entire year. Yes, I say absolutely ridiculous things that elicit someone, nay anyone, to shout out 'Luce... Douchebag jar, now.'


Mindy has been saying it for a couple of years now. Yet I always thought there was a hidden jokey sense within her comments. This quiz confirmed what I had spent so long dismissing as a humorous falsity.

And then I have a realisation. A Schmidt moment, if you will. Who said being a Schmidt had to be a bad thing? Schmidt provides a welcome relief to the other loft mates who are all separately struggling with the difficulties of early adulthood. He is successful and embraces this achievement. He is a hit with the opposite sex, so must possess a charming quality that makes the ladies swoon. Heck, he even has an eye for fashion and can appreciate the need for a good suit and good lighting. When life gets him down, he knows it's all about the recovery. Because, hey, Schmidt happens.



So, ladies and gentlemen, I would request that you look past the superficial arrogant and douche-y qualities that are seen by so many. Peel away the layers of the onion (jar, Lucy) and discover the true Schmidty.

Because, after all, we built this Scmidty on Tootsie Rolls.


L x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews