Sunday 19 January 2014

Best TV Show Opening Themes

I actually rarely watch any show's opening credits because (I watch all my TV shows online and) I am able to skip them to save precious time. However, the following shows have title sequences that I don't ever skip because I love them so damn much.

Sidenote: I recently discovered a website where I can make GIFs (sorry about the annoying watermark). I may have got a little carried away.

One Tree Hill
The phrase "nailed it" doesn't cover how perfect this opening sequence is. Good one Gavin DeGraw, "I Don't Wanna Be" is a truly brilliant song and I love that he pops up every few seasons and sings it in the show.
I love title credits that show you which actors play each character because sometimes you just need to know who plays who in your favourite show. It gives you snippets of the best times of each season and the opening-sequence-making-people were good enough to make a whole new video for every season.
Having said that, only complaint: Brooke appears to have the same little clip in the opening sequence for a few seasons. And her hair changes a lot from season to season.




Teen Wolf
SO MANY BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE. That's basically all I have to say, plus I like the dramatic music.
Only complaint: Where is Isaac? He's been in the show as a principal character for ages now.




The O.C.
Not only is California by Phantom Planet the greatest song in the whole wide world but this opening theme gives viewers a chance to see all of the cast's beautiful faces in sequence before the show begins. The opening credits make me feel so happy, no matter how many people get brutally murdered in the episode that follows.
Only complaint: Why isn't Rachel Bilson in the season 1 opening theme? Summer Roberts is the bomb.




The Big Bang Theory
Even if you don't watch this show (why not??) you will be able to sing at least part of this song, "The History of Everything" by Barenaked Ladies, because it is brilliant. I, personally, know the whole thing. Even the fast bit. No big deal.
The accompanying video is simple and jampacked with historical references, but also appropriate to the show and fun to watch.
Only complaint: At the very end they show the characters eating take-away and it makes me hungry. Every time.




Game of Thrones
I don't even watch this show but I must say: these opening credits are beautiful. The song makes you want to get up and do something inspirational (I say while sitting on my laptop in my bed) and the whole moving across map thing and around places thing (I have no idea what happens in this show) is awesome.
Only complaint: I do not love the font they used for the names. Plus it's a little small.



Sherlock
This is my sister's choice and I do actually agree with her. I love London so much (as you may be able to tell from previous posts) so I love the edgy shots of the city that we see along with the most perfect music ever. The best thing about this title sequence is the song so a GIF doesn't quite capture the magic, but I shall obviously include one anyway.
Only complaint: It's only 30 seconds. It should last at least three hours. (The show would then be 4 and a half hours in total and that would be incredible.)



And there we have it, the 6 best opening themes from some of the greatest shows in this millennium.
I'm sure there are more and everyone has their own opinions on this and watches more shows than I do (wait, that's not possible. I mean that people watch different shows than I do).

Notable mentions should also go to: Parks and Recreation, New Girl and How I Met Your Mother.

M x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews