Wednesday 22 January 2014

Diary Of An IB Student #1

IB therefore I am.

I heard the shrill warnings when I chose my Sixth Form pathway about how the IB would take over my life and how I would reminisce about the sweet old days when I could afford to go out and see friends. I naively laughed off their warnings as a big, over-exaggerated, dramatic joke.

But, yes, only four months into my International Baccalaureate, I can see what they were on about when they said 'IB therefore I am'. It's one heck of a soul-consuming education programme.

I never often finish my work before 10, which is proving very difficult for my Netflix addiction. What's more, there's always the ever-looming presence of some sort of coursework about to be set or a test on some incomprehensible science topic. My workload is like a dark, omnipresent grey cloud that is forever impending on me.

Maybe I'm being too negative and, knowing that I'm speaking to a predominantly non-IB audience, I am hyperbolising my experiences in order to obtain sympathy from those studying A-Levels or, even worse, those actually in the outside world.



Because, really, I'm going to speak out. It's not that bad really. Yes, I get hardly any free-periods during the week. But that means I have learnt to appreciate the free periods that I do have and, to a large extent, they are used efficiently. What's more, the IB has meant that seeing those at my school who study A-Levels (the other education pathway on offer) has become a near impossibility. However, without a doubt, it has made the time that we do manage to squeeze in together even more special. Even if they cannot understand why you have so many bags under your eyes due to lack of sleep.

Aside from the social aspect, or lack thereof, let me talk about what actually matters - why one actually chooses to study six subjects (well, seven. Theory Of Knowledge should always be counted). When offered to embark on the International Baccalaureate programme, they tell you that it really is the best way to receive a rounded education at an advanced level and keep your options for the future open. Now, if anyone out there is the typical deer in headlights when it comes to thinking about the future, then the IB is really a no-brainer. Sometimes enduring the horrors of science and maths if that's not your thing can be a bit arduous, but the benefits are clear.

As is often said in reference to this beauty of an education programme - 'The IB is like vegetables. Sometimes it doesn't taste nice, but you know it's good for you so you eat it up anyway'.


Coupled with the six subjects are three core elements of the IB that make it, admittedly, a lot more time-consuming than A-Levels, but actually have their benefits. At least, I can see the benefits right now while writing this. Perhaps I'm just in a good mood. I certainly don't feel this way about TOK at 7:00AM every morning.

If nothing else, the core (Theory Of Knowledge; Creativity, Action and Service and Extended Essay) really teaches important BS skills that have important applications in life post-education. I mean, who doesn't see the benefit in writing a 700 word reflection journal on participating in a yoga class?

Yet we saunter on, bs-ing along the way as though in the dark, hoping we'll surface after the two years with a diploma in our hand and without too many nervous breakdowns.

It's not about succeeding in the IB. It's about surviving. A decent survival at times, but nonetheless a survival.

So, it would seem as though this time it's not 'IB therefore I am'.
It's 'IB therefore I BS'

L x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews