Thursday 23 January 2014

Great Things London Has Given Us

I recently discovered that literally every good thing in life was invented in London. Every good thing. Here is a list of the bestest things that the most amazing city in the world gave to the world:

Scotch Eggs, 1738, Fortnum and Mason
I may not be able to eat these (although Quorn make a delicious vegetarian alternative) but I know (am guessing...) that they are every Brit's favourite picnic food. As they should be. They look amazing.
Thanks London.



Roller Skates, 1760
Only my favourite mode of transportation! What other shoes get you around so speedily and in such style.



Wedding Cake, 18th Century
This is not 100% confirmed, but I'm going to say it is because London is definitely capable of inspiring such a wonderful thing as wedding cake. Actually, fruitcake is kinda gross.



Bicycles, 1819
Only my second favourite mode of transportation!
These were first invented in the form of Hobby Horses, which are completely wooden bikes with big fancy wheels. (Not those toy horse heads on sticks)



Christmas Cards, 1843, John Callcott
Who doesn't love receiving Christmas cards? No one! Yay for London!

YMCA, 1844
You know- where it's fun to stay and you can hang out with all the boys? That place. First opened up in London.

Christmas Crackers, 1847, Tom Smith
Despite this guy having the least original name ever, he did manage to invent something super lovely. What would Christmas be without the crappy gift you get in your cracker and the joke that everyone already knows the punch-line to?



Underground Railway System, 1863
My actual favourite mode of transport! It may be unreliable and a bit delayed at times but, at the end of the day, all Londoners (bar those with chauffeurs) would be lost without it.
Thanks London.

The first ever driving school- the British School of Motoring, 1910
I didn't even know they had cars in 1910, let alone institutes in which to learn how to drive them. But, if anywhere was going to invent this kind of place, it would be London. Plus, this place is still open, I know where I'm going when I finally pluck up the courage to have my first driving lesson.

Penicillin, 1928, Alexander Fleming
Very important this stuff is. A great advance in medical science this was. All done in London. Obviously.

Cash Machines, 1967, John Shepherd-Barron, Enfield Barclays
These are possibly the most useful machines ever. I will never fathom how they work and I don't think I ever want to; for now, I'll continue to believe that there are tiny men inside the machine passing me £10 notes. Thanks little men!

Me, 1996, Queen Charlotte's Hospital
No comment.

Lucy, 1996, Queen Charlotte's Hospital
Yes, Lucy and I were born in the same hospital, in the same year. No, Lucy and I are not long-lost twins. (Although no DNA tests have been done)

As you can see, many fabulous things were invented in London, the greatest city in the world.
I'm not sure what brought on this sudden burst of enthusiasm for London. Not that it is unjustified.

Genuinely, I'm not actually that obsessed with my home city. Maybe there's something in the water.
Classic London.

M x

p.s I'm really sorry about the pictures. I'm not sure what compelled me to make them but, whatever, no regrets.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews